If your baby has a fever, in most instances it means they have probably picked up a cold or other viral infection. Although they are less common in infants, pneumonia, urinary tract infections, ear infections, or a more serious infection such as a blood bacterial infection or meningitis may be causing a fever.
What should I do if my newborn has a fever?
How to Treat a Fever
- Bathe your baby in lukewarm water. …
- Dress your baby in light, comfortable clothing.
- Make sure your baby is getting enough fluids to prevent dehydration.
- NEVER give your baby aspirin to treat a fever. …
- Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are the two medications for children that help fight fever.
Is fever in newborn normal?
What causes a fever in a newborn? Fevers are common in children, but for a newborn baby, a fever can be a sign of a dangerous infection. This is why children under 2 months should be taken to an emergency department in the case of a fever of 100.4 or higher. Most fevers in children are caused by viruses.
When should you worry about a baby’s fever?
If your baby is younger than 3 months old, contact the doctor for any fever. If your baby is 3 to 6 months old and has a temperature up to 102 F (38.9 C) and seems sick or has a temperature higher than 102 F (38.9 C), contact the doctor.
What temp should I take child to hospital?
If his or her temperature is above 100.4 degrees, it is time to call us. For children ages three months to three years, call us if there is a fever of 102 degrees or higher. For all kids three years and older, a fever of 103 degrees or higher means it is time to call Pediatrics East.
How can I tell if my newborn has a fever?
Armpit Temperature: How to Take
- Age: Any age for screening.
- Put the tip of the thermometer in an armpit. Make sure the armpit is dry.
- Close the armpit by holding the elbow against the chest. Do this until it beeps (about 10 seconds). …
- Your child has a fever if the armpit temp is above 99.0° F (37.2° C).
How do I check my newborn’s temperature?
Place your hand nearest the baby’s head on his or her lower back. Push apart the baby’s buttocks with your thumb and forefinger. Using your other hand, gently insert the lubricated bulb end of the thermometer 1/2 to 1 inch, or just past the anal muscle. Point thermometer towards the child’s belly button.
How should I dress my baby with a fever at night?
Treating Your Child’s Fever
- Try one layer of lightweight clothing, and one lightweight blanket for sleep.
- The room should be comfortable, not too hot or too cool. If the room is hot or stuffy, a fan may help.
What do hospitals do for babies with fevers?
A baby less than 28 days old, who has a fever, will be admitted to the hospital for further observation and treatment. This is the standard of care at all hospitals. Antibiotics will be continued until all the culture results come back.