Leafy greens such as kale and spinach are great sources of iron for your wee one. You can saute them in oil and puree them with other cooked vegetables or meats to enhance taste. You can also throw them into fruit smoothies. Bonus: The vitamin C in fruits such as oranges or strawberries enhances iron absorption.
Are Bananas high in iron?
Iron content in bananas is low, approximately 0.4 mg/100 g of fresh weight. There is a strategy of developing modified lines of bananas to increase their iron content; the target is a 3- to 6-fold increase.
How can I boost my iron fast?
Choose iron-rich foods
- Red meat, pork and poultry.
- Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach.
- Dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots.
- Iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas.
What fruit is highest in iron?
Summary: Prune juice, olives and mulberries are the three types of fruit with the highest iron concentration per portion. These fruit also contain antioxidants and a variety of other nutrients beneficial to health.
Is cheese high in iron?
Dairy products such as cheese, cottage cheese, milk and yogurt, although rich in calcium, have negligible iron content. It is important to eat a variety of foods every day.
Is peanut butter high in iron?
The amount of iron in peanut butter varies between brands, but usually contains about 0.56 mg of iron per tablespoon. For extra iron, make a sandwich using a slice of whole wheat bread that can provide around 1 mg of iron.
What foods stop iron absorption?
The following foods can interfere with iron absorption:
- tea and coffee.
- milk and some dairy products.
- foods that contain tannins, such as grapes, corn, and sorghum.
- foods that contain phytates or phytic acid, such as brown rice and whole-grain wheat products.