Parents should not misuse Vicks VapoRub, the salve used to relieve symptoms of cough and congestion, by applying it to children under the age of two, say doctors who became interested in the potential dangers of the product when caring for an 18-month-old who developed severe respiratory distress after the product was …
Is Vicks VapoRub safe for toddlers?
If your baby is under the age of 2, you should never apply Vicks to their chest, nose, feet, or elsewhere. You could try special nonmedicated rub for babies 3 months and older. The blend is dubbed as a “soothing ointment” that contains fragrances of eucalyptus, rosemary, and lavender.
Why is Vicks bad for toddlers?
New research appearing in the January issue of CHEST, the peer-reviewed journal of the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP), shows that Vicks® VapoRub® (VVR) may stimulate mucus production and airway inflammation, which can have severe effects on breathing in an infant or toddler.
Can you put Vicks on a 2 year old?
VapoRub Children’s can be used on all children ages 2 and older to provide safe and effective cough relief so they can sleep. Remember to use as directed and always keep out of your child’s reach.
How do I decongest my toddler?
5 Gentle Remedies to Relieve Congestion in Toddlers
- Steamy air. Having your toddler breathe moist air can help loosen all the mucus causing their congestion. …
- Nasal aspirator and saline drops. …
- Lots of fluids. …
- Plenty of rest. …
- Sleeping upright.
Can Vicks hurt your lungs?
Vicks has been reported to cause inflammation in the eyes, mental status changes, lung inflammation, liver damage, constriction of airways and allergic reactions.
Why is Vicks banned?
The product was one of 344 drug combinations, including several antibiotics and analgesics, that India ordered to be prohibited, saying that a government-appointed panel of experts had found the combinations lacked “therapeutic justification”.
Why is Vicks bad?
The bottom line. It’s not safe to use Vicks VapoRub inside your nose as it can be absorbed into your body through the mucus membranes lining your nostrils. VVR contains camphor, which can have toxic effects if absorbed into your body. It can be especially dangerous for children if it’s used inside their nasal passages.